Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Back to School (again)

In the week since I last wrote, a lot has happened in some ways, yet in others not a lot.  By that I mean, chaos and tragedy erupted once again in Bahrain, while I stayed safely cooped up inside my flat.  By the third day of being indoors, I found myself watching the washing machine spin and said to myself, "no I have not lost my mind."  By the fourth day I walked just down the street to another teacher's place for lunch.  Just being outside for those four minutes was fabulous.  The weather here is so nice, I just want to stand outside and bask in it, alas I could not do that.  I peered at the world from my balcony through a corner of the shade.  I finally gauged the situation outside by how close the helicopters were flying and whether or not the cold store was open across the street.
I am not trying to focus on the weather, but two days this week I was able to get out and go with Peter and Kathy as a guest to the British Club.  There I sat poolside catching some rays and then swam some laps in the pool.  In cases like this not being in school is okay, because there is something to do and I was able to leave the flat.  The other teachers who live on the same floor as me were a great comfort during the days of solitute.  While I kept assuring everyone I was safe (which I was), that does not mean I was scared.  It did come up whether or not I should return home, yet I did not want to be hasty.
That turned out to be a good things because on Sunday, teachers were mandated (for real) by the Ministry of Education in Bahrain to return to school.  So Sunday and Monday were strange half days of meetings and sitting in my classroom, twiddling my thumbs.  I pretty much have several weeks of lesson plans done, so there was not much for me to do in the classroom.  Regardless, it was nice being able to get out of the flat for a while and see people.  Seeing and reconnecting with people is a very important thing during troubled times.  I am grateful to all the other staff members who kept calling to check up on me during the days off.  I have for sure made some very good friends here :)
Yesterday afternoon I got a text, saying the Ministry of Education stated that students will return to school on Tuesday.  Of course I was thrilled, but trying not to get too excited because I knew a lot could still happen between then and this morning.  Fortunately, I am at school and students are everywhere.  It is a great sight and feeling.  I missed them all so much and know these times are not easy for them.  I am trying to be the understanding teacher, while also teaching and giving them work to do.  A lot is still going on locally and it is all very sad.   I pray for peace and a return to normalcy for my students and the country.  I want to thank everyone for their thoughts and prayers.  Will write more soon.

1 comment:

  1. WOW! That is really all I can say... I know... it's a miracle! I am glad to hear that you are safe and doing well. It is amazing what can happen miles away and not being aware of it! Best wishes... hugs... you are missed!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete